Sunday, June 14, 2009

Question of the Day - Late Night Parking Window

Living in 905 and being a student is very difficult, especially if you like to enjoy a night on the town every once in a while. The last GO buses of the night generally leave around 1:30, but this can be too early for many revelers. Driving to a TTC lot and taking the subway downtown gives you access to the blue night bus network for an extended evening, but what happens if you decide at the last minute to have a few drinks because your friend has a sofa for you to crash on?

According to GO Transit's by-laws, it is unlawful to leave a car parked at a GO station for more than 48 hours. Staying overnight and catching a morning departure back to your vehicle wouldn't put you anywhere near the limit, but what about on the TTC? The signs at commuter lots are very clear - no overnight parking is permitted at any lot between 2:00 am and 5:00 am. So, say I park at the Finch lot at 8 pm to meet my friends downtown for 9:00. If I stay at the bars until last call it would be approaching 3:00 before I returned to my vehicle. Am I parked illegally? What if I have had a bit too much to drink (and, knowing my body, fatigue alone may be "a bit too much") and decide to stay downtown for the evening? Will I get a ticket or be towed for trying to do the right thing?

No, I'm not planning to go on a bender in the future... I'm just looking for ways that we can encourage people to use transit during the times when the congestion deterrent turns in for the night.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6/14/2009 9:03 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing a public service ad on TV against drunk driving. It involved someone who left their car at a GO lot and stayed the night at a friend. It was produced by the Ontario government.

 
At 6/14/2009 12:10 p.m. , Blogger Andrae Griffith said...

Yes, I too remember seeing those commercials, but we can assume that the person left their car parked overnight legally. To do that at a TTC lot would be, technically, illegal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home